Saturday, July 30, 2011

KC Fringe "Hexing Hitler" review by Rabid_Reviewer

Why are they picking on Der Fuhrer?
Rating: 5

Hexing Hitler
KC Fringe Festival

This is the tightest performance I've seen at the Fringe so far this year.  The direction and acting is excellent.  Based on a true story, I found that after watching it, I wanted to know more about the actual events.

I enjoyed the characterizations, although I found the transitions of how the characters felt about each other a bit abrupt and somewhat forced.  Attitudes changed often and with little provocation.

I found myself thinking, "My God, these character drink a lot."  I also found myself wondering why people who were so anti-Hitler should feel any sympathy for the man.  I think what is missing is a revelation of the attitude at the time.  This was 1941.  Hitler was a tyrant and a despot to many people, but the full revelation of his monstrosity was not truly evident until the end of the war in 1945.

I think the sympathy for Hitler would have been more understandable to a modern audience if said audience was made aware of the prevailing attitude toward Hitler as merely another common enemy to freedom and not the progenitor of genocide he was later revealed to be.

Nevertheless, I thought the performance was strong, the script was good, and I have to say this is definitely a show worth seeing.

No comments:

Post a Comment