Sunday, July 31, 2011

KC Fringe "Hexing Hitler" review by JLin

 Stick to Comedies
Rating: 1

Hexing Hitler
KC Fringe Festival

In 1941, five people gathered in a remote Maryland cabin to kill Adolf Hitler using witchcraft.  That about sums it up.  There's more to it than that, but nothing I find worth mentioning.  Despite the best efforts of the actors (the closest to success were Melody Butler and Doogan Brown), this script just couldn't keep my attention.  I had no emotional connection to the characters and, because the playwrights chose to write about something historical, I already knew that it wasn't going to work so I wasn't invested in the plot either.  As rude as it may seem, I almost dozed off once.

With the way that lines were being delivered, the actors seemed to be reading a bedtime story rather than taking on characters.  Most guilty of this were Kipp Simmons (William Seabrook) and Sarah Mae Lamar (Constance Kuhr), though their characters do a lot of actual storytelling so I suppose I should be a little more forgiving.  All of the lines seemed forced and recited – just something that needed to be said so the next actor could get out their line.

I was very disappointed with this production and I wish that these talented locals would have been in a show that would have allowed them to shine.  Hexing Hitler was a big letdown after writers Colley and Varney's last Fringe show, Khaaaaan! The Musical (a smash hit).  A valiant effort, but I would stick to comedies in the future.  1 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment