Friday, July 27, 2012

KC Fringe "Thank You Notes" review by andiam

Shattering
Rating: 5

Thank You Notes
  KC Fringe Festival


Every so often one encounters a performance which leads one with the feeling that his or her life would have been measurably poorer had he or she not been there. This is how I felt when I saw "Thank You Notes." It starts off deceptively as a comedy (the advance publicity seemed to imply it would be one) but soon moves into darker areas of the human psyche. The revelations, at first shocking, are treated with amazing sensitivity. By the end, I really empathized with the characters. All three actors were excellent (playing an airhead--the wife--is a lot harder than it looks), but I have to single out Vanessa Severo, who is one of this city's great cultural treasures. I am looking forward to seeing her in the Living Room's reprise of "Blackbird."

No comments:

Post a Comment