Friday, July 27, 2012

KC Fringe "Roast of Jesus Christ" review by andiam

Clever
Rating: 4

The Roast of Jesus Christ
KC Fringe Festival


First, let me say that I agree with the previous reviewer who complained that the show did not live up to its advertised purpose. A "roast" of Jesus could have been very funny. I wonder if they wrote one and were dissatisfied with it, so they substituted some other material instead. The first half of the show was a "best of the year" sketches from their previous shows. The second half was a comedy about how Jesus got lost en route to the "roast."

That being said, this is very funny sketch comedy. I've seem a few other comedy presentations at the Fringe, but this is the only one that made me laugh out loud. "Saturday Night Live" employs supposedly best sketch-comedy writers in America, but that show rarely is as funny as the show I saw this evening at Union Station. My favorites were a film about a woman who "hoarded" empty space--the opposite of the people featured on "hoarders," and an advertisement for a politically correct Christmas record album (I wonder if the younger members of the audience even recognize what an LP is). I hope they won't mind my giving away one line: "Joy to the World, A very nice person has come..." And of course, "White Christmas" is too racist for modern tastes.

I plan to catch this group's act in the future

No comments:

Post a Comment