Tuesday, July 24, 2012

KC Fringe "Roast of Jesus Christ" review by Vicsopinion

Where was the roast?
Rating: 3

The Roast of Jesus Christ
KC Fringe Festival

I want to start out by saying that I consider several members of Bottoms Up Sketch Comedy my friends, and this will be my first ever written review.

With that being said, I feel like I watched 2 different shows Sunday night. The first show was clever, funny, witty, and smart, filled with video clips and thought-provoking humor. I laughed, chuckled, and smiled. Those that know me would say that Jesus performed his first miracle of the night. (I'm not much of a laugher). The Brainstorming video, Hoarders video, Time Life Record, and the Santorum bits were standouts. The cast was above average for sketch comedy. Although I had never seen Peter Leondedis perform, I had heard of him. After watching him the other night, I believe I've heard of him for good reason....He's very good.
Unfortunately I came to see a good ole fashioned "Roast". I'm a fan of the Comedy Central Roasts of Charlie Sheen, Hugh Hefner, Pamela Anderson, etc. So when I heard Bottoms Up was going to "Roast" Jesus I was expecting the same format of comedians standing at a podium and making fun of everyone in the room, with Mr. or Ms. Christ being the guest of honor. Nope, not gonna happen. Not even a little bit. What we got instead was a 45 minute bit about how Jesus got lost on the way to the theater. The script called for the cast to feign confusion and try to stall the audience. We were told we were going to intermission no less than 5 times. I prayed that we were going to get to go, but since Jesus was lost and not at the theater, I guess he didn't hear me, because we never got an intermission.
Consider yourself warned, if your coming to see "The Roast Of Jesus Christ" you will be disappointed. But if you want to see 45 minutes of good, solid, quality sketch comedy, come to the first half of the show, then head out to your next Fringe endeavor.

Victor

No comments:

Post a Comment