Saturday, July 31, 2010

Fringe Festival "Squeaky Wheel" review by ajennings

kcstage_logo3.png
Reliving memories
Rating: 4

The Squeaky Wheel -- LIVE!
KC Fringe Festival

When Brian Shaughnessy first rolled onstage in his electric wheelchair I didn't know what to expect. The obvious question I was thinking was "what happened to you?" He tells us "I used to tell people (the truth) until I came up with 3 versions...3 lies."

But the truth is the most compelling and believable of all: a botched spinal surgery made him a quadriplegic.

Having helped my sister through her own spinal surgery last year (and missed Fringe because of it), Brian's story was my worst fear in front of me. Through Brian's tales I relived memories of my sister's struggle, from first waking up unable to feel her legs, through long hospital stays, intense rehab, and tough-as-nails primary care nurses.

Brian has gone onto do so much, including traveling to KC for Fringe from Hawaii and writing a book. His story is uplifting and makes me very grateful that my sister's surgery turned out ok.

Remaining performances are Sat at 7pm and Sun at 2:30pm.

read the review at KC Stage

No comments:

Post a Comment