Saturday, July 31, 2010

Fringe Festival "Grind: The Musical" review by ajennings


I want to see it again!!!!!
Rating: 5

Grind: The Musical
KC Fringe Festival

I can't say enough good things about "Grind: The Coffeeshop and Comic Book Musical"!!! I loved it!!! This is the story of Coco who runs a coffeeshop in Minneapolis, MN, her brother, Dylan, her one employee, Perk, and all the regulars that come in and out of the coffeeshop. They're all dealing with their own lives and problems, like Coco's losing the shop space due to impending building demolition, and Perk's problems with helping support his family after moving from New Orleans after Katrina.

The cast consists of Maia Rodriguez (Coco), David Kornfeld (Dylan), Max Collyard (Perk), Alec Scott (Dan), Siri Hammond (Libby), Laura Stratford (chorus, writer), Diasuke Kawachi (chorus, orchestration), and Cari Jones (chorus). Every one of their performances is wonderful.

My favorites were Max (Perk) and Siri (Libby), and their song 'Something Brewing' is not to be missed. David (Dylan) on keyboards and beatboxing (sometimes at the same time) entertains the ear, and he's not bad to look at either! Siri (Libby)'s song 'People Watching' is funny.

My only concerns with this performance were that it didn't seem like Maia (Coco) had her mic turned on when she was singing, and the drum, played very well by Laura (chorus), overpowered the singing at times, especially in Alec (Dan)'s song 'The End of the World' (he's a street evangelist...what do you expect him to sing about?).

As I'm finalizing my schedule of shows to see this evening, I'm fervently wishing that I could see "Grind" again. Since I can't, you definitely should! Their final performance is tonight (Sat) at 6:30pm at The Pearl Living Room.



read the review at KC Stage

No comments:

Post a Comment