Saturday, July 31, 2010

Fringe Festival "Head" review by ajennings

Kyle Hatley tells more storiesRating: 5


Head
KC Fringe Festival

As a big fan of Kyle Hatley's work ever since I saw "Six" 2 years ago at the Fringe Fest, I couldn't wait to see "Head" this year, even though I had only the vaguest idea what this religious story was about.

"Head" is the story of King Herod who has just married his dead brother's wife, Queen Herodias. King Herod lusts, like every other man in the kingdom, for the Queen's daughter, Salome. Meanwhile, the Prophet is creating civil unrest outside the royal house, and the Queen is calling for his death. Anyone who knows the story (as I found out), knows that it ends with Salome dancing for the king and court, and in return she asks for the head of the Prophet on a silver platter.

The cast was wonderful, but a few players stood out in particular. Queen Herodias (Manon Halliburton) speaks very fast, and is very sharp-tongued, but despite both of these I had no problem understanding anything she said. The Alone Mother (Cynthia Rider) drew my attention as soon as she walked onstage. Her reasoning for calling King Herod a vampire seems funny at first, but as the story unfolds, I found it to be an apt description. Salome (Natalie Liccardello) is sneaky, sultry, savage, and almost snake-like at times.

All of these characters were worth mentioning, but I have yet to mention my favorites. The Fool (Grant Prewitt) is crazy and creepy, and I perked up every time he appeared. Lastly, the Waiter/Scientist (Todd Carlton Lanker) and the Caterer/Poet (TJ Chasteen) stole any scene they were in. They provided the comic relief and had me rolling with laughter.

I highly recommend "Head" to anyone who isn't extremely religious. I can't guarantee that Kyle Hatley followed the original story, but as the Fool says, "We fools don't tell stories as they are written. We tell them as we remember them."

Remaining performances are Sat at 10pm and Sun at 5pm at the Unicorn Main Stage.

read the review at KC Stage

No comments:

Post a Comment