Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fringe Festival "Best of IFC Horror" review by Reviewasaurus

Really? The Best of Kansas City Horror?
Rating: 2

Best of IFC Horror
KC Fringe Festival

The other night the Independent Film Commission gave me great hope for the future of film in Kansas City with their showcase of locally produced film. That showing got me pretty excited for their horror film showcase, which I witnessed tonight.

With the exception of two, maybe three shorts, I was terribly disappointed. First, at least one of them wasn't even locally produced. They actually had to import at least one film to round out the program. They just aren't very good I'm afraid. Not compared to what I saw last night. It pains me to say it, but I saw the same faces on screen all night, which kind of solidifies the IFC's reputation for being a bit inside. It would do the group a lot of good to continue doing outreach to the acting community.

But, I give the IFC some credit, many of the members have a passion for horror and they keep trying, as well they should. Horror is a lot harder than people might think. Harder than comedy in my opinion. I applaud their efforts. I do. I'm just not sure the selection tonight was well chosen.

Again, there was no program, so I'm having a hard time with titles, and silly me, I forgot my pen. Apologies.

Among the highlights were the one about the kid buying cigarettes for his mom, the one about the guy that kills his family, and the one about the family dinner. Wish I could be more specific.

Are you a horror fan? Check it out, make up your own mind. If anything it will inspire you to go join the group and put in your own effort. If you are a filmmaker in general, I recommend doing that. Don't let this group of films fool you. I know they have better to offer. I just don't know why they chose not to show them.

read the review at KC Stage


No comments:

Post a Comment