Thursday, July 29, 2010

Fringe Festival "Boobs, Burlesque & the Bard" review by ajennings

An entertaining mix
Rating: 4

Boobs, Burlesque & The Bard
KC Fringe Festival

I took a chance tonight and saw "Boobs, Burlesque, and the Bard" at Just Off Broadway. Although I'm not a fan of burlesque (nothing wrong with it, it's just not my cup of tea), I am a Shakespeare fan, so I knew I would enjoy at least some of the show.

Boobs: Yes, there were lots. My favorites were the ones on sticks that we were given as we came in as part of audience participation. The pasties were a welcome sight, and some of them were very cute (skulls, flowers)!

Burlesque: Was more fun than I expected, especially the woman who played Ophelia from "Hamlet"! She was a riot!!! Kate from "Taming the Shrew" was very funny as well, and had a wonderful voice for her song, 'Being a Girl', as well as plenty of sass to go along with it! All the women were very confident with their bodies, and that made it more fun to watch.

Bard: The Lord Mayor's Company provided this part of the show, most of the time with groan-inducing limericks. The women from Bee's Knees Burlesque did various short scenes and monologues from some of Shakespeare's work, and those were well done. My favorite contribution from the Lord Mayor's Company was "Dirty Shakespeare". All I can say about this part of the show was that it was hilarious and that when the children in my class tomorrow answer "nothing" to a question, I will have a new definition to think of!

A big congrats to Opal (Katie Gilchrist), our host for the evening. She certainly knows how to play with a crowd (pun intended), and keeps things moving with ease. I highly encourage anyone with an interest in Boobs, Burlesque, or the Bard to catch this highly entertaining mix! There are 3 more shows: Thurs at 8pm, Fri at 9:30pm, and Sat at 11:30pm.

read the review at KC Stage

No comments:

Post a Comment