Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fringe Festival "Boobs, Burlesque and the Bard" review by Reviewasaurus

THIS IS MY BOOBSTICK!
Rating: 3

Boobs, Burlesque & The Bard
KC Fringe Festival

I love the idea of this show, and I love where they are going with it, and I love boobs, but it had some technical issues and it didn't seem to be tight. Pardon the pun.

I did not receive a program for this show, so I can't mention the players with hopes of accurate spelling, and some I didn't know at all, so I'll keep things as generally specific as I can.

All the burlesque made me very happy, and I saw some real talent. I have an eye for this kind of thing, you know.

The dances were complimented by contributions from The Lord Mayor's Company, a bawdy group of ruffians that perform at the Renaissance Festival. I really couldn't get behind the limericks. Their meter was off, an they weren't landing that well. Eye rolling isn't as good as laughing. There was a wonderfully played, and naughtily informative sketch about a word you will never use the same again. Very much enjoyed that. That's keeper material.

I really enjoyed the show, all in all. I left smiling like day I wandered into a tent at the state fair to see the world's only mermaid in captivity. There she was. Sitting behind an aquarium wearing her fishtail, and nothing else. I stared at her. Her boobs. I stared at her boobs. I couldn't tell you what color her hair was or if her feet were sticking out of that fish tail. I was twelve. It was a life changing event. I've been to a number of tents since then, but I will always love the strange theatricality of that encounter. That's what B.D.U. gives us with this show (no, not an awkward confusing semi-sexual encounter). It's about so much more than the tease with them. It's more.....lovely?

But still, there's a lot of tease.

read the review at KC Stage

1 comment:

  1. The show was brought to you by Bee's Knees Burlesque not B.D.U.

    ReplyDelete