Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Fringe Festival "Bellydance Fusion Factory" review by ajennings

Bellydancing and Bollywood
Rating: 4

Bellydance Fusion Factory
KC Fringe Festival

Let me preface this review by saying that Troupe Duende stated that every show would be different, so I can't guarantee that you will see the same dancing I did.

As a Rennie and an ever-growing fan of Bollywood movies and music, I couldn't help but enjoy myself when I went to the Arts Incubator to see the Bellydance Fusion Factory. This group of musically-forward bellydancers blended the bellydancing that I'm familiar with at Renaissance Festivals, Bollywood, and even some hip-hop moves (like chest pops) together to achieve some very entertaining dancing. A few of the dancers really stood out (sorry, I wasn't able to get names), such as the snake-like sensual dancer with the intense eyes in the 2nd dance, and the auburn-haired mermaid-like dancer in the 6th. Both seemed to enjoy themselves more than the rest, and held my attention the best.

This group not only set themselves apart from other bellydance groups I've seen with their fusion of dance, but also their wide range of music. I heard traditional drums, Indian/Bollywood, Spanish, rock and hip-hop beats, and even the recent re-mix of "Lollipop"!

The Troupe Duende really set themselves apart with their performance tonight with their originality and musicality. I will not forget them anytime soon. If you can, please attend one of their remaining shows (Thurs at 8, Fri at 12:30, and Sat at 9:30) at the Arts Incubator.

read the review at KC Stage

No comments:

Post a Comment