Wednesday, February 27, 2013

River City Community Players "Spelling Bee" review by powerofsum42

Yes of Course... Rating: 4


The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
River City Community Players

Leavenworth has been, to me, the home of a little theater that could for quite some time now. And more and more the RCCP has been putting on shows of a quality that you rarely find in community theater. I am surprised I have not heard of this director MB Hurst, I'm sure I know someone who has, but I think I'll be following their work for a little while, this is a fine show.



The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee is an outrageously funny musical comedy with constant laughs and surprises. The entire cast is spot on, and have great talent both in their voices and their acting. My personal favorites would have to be (the program I got had no cast/character listing, that was a minus in my opinion) Rona, Marcy Park, and Chip Tolentino were the vocal highlights. And as for the acting, my absolute favorites would be Vice Principle Panch, and Leaf Coneybear.

My only problems with the actual show were; sometimes I could not understand the actress playing Logainne; and the actor playing Will Barfee, while he was funny, really overdid his ad-libbing at times, and for me it was really distracting I could have done without that. Last but not least the sound operation left something to be desired when it came to microphone use.

With these faults aside, I really did enjoy this show. And if you can find the time, I highly recommend you get up to Leavenworth and see this show!! 4 out of 5 stars!

No comments:

Post a Comment