Sunday, February 24, 2013

River City Community Players "Spelling Bee" review by englishtranslat

 My Favorite Moments of the Bee! Rating: 5


The 25th Annual Putnam County Spelling Bee
River City Community Players

The River City Community Players have simply astounded me this time!! I have not laughed so hard in a long time! This show quite simply wrapped me up in every single individual story so intensely that I felt like I really knew and cared about each and every one of them, which seldom happens to me at a comedy!

Going off of my title though, I believe certain players deserve honorable mention. Now, this is not to say that they were not all superb, but these are the folks who stood out to me, personally.

First off, the vocals were very well cast in this production. They were sublime and seemingly flawless (from what I know), but I would have to say that my favorite was Mitch Mahoney (I do not know his real name); having played this role myself, I was judging him the hardest, and he lived up to my expectations!

Secondly, in terms of comedy and general performance, my two favorites would have to be William Barfee and Leaf Coneybear. These two actors (again, I do not know their true names) just sold it to me from their line delivery to their antics. I just simply died over and over again!

Last but not least, in terms of drama, (in this case, who I felt sorry for the most) most of the characters had a rather sad back story, but I would have to really give it to Olive Ostrovsky, Logainne Schwartz, and Grubenierre. Logainne has two parents who are very intense and set on their daughter winning (one more than the other) and because of this she is easily stressed out, especially over the times when the bee is not following the rules. As for Olive's home life, well, let's just say she lacks the preferred parental compassion other kids may get... All in all, I feel this show was very well cast, designed, choreographed, and put together... I highly recommend this show!!

No comments:

Post a Comment