Friday, February 26, 2010

"Broke-ology" review by Lightman2005

Broke-ology, a worthwhile production
Rating: 4


Broke-ology
Kansas City Repertory Theatre



This was a good performance all around. The play was well cast and the director did a good job with it. The set was better than expected, and fit the production very well. Lighting was flawless, and the costumer definitely did a good job with such little to work with. Audio and special effects could both use a little work. There was a commonly played audio file that at the start sounded like feedback and was downright painful, but after it was played 3 or 4 times I realized it was just a poor choice of a starting point.

Watching the show it was apparent that the script was written by a young playwright, as there were points where I definitely knew I was watching a performance rather than being connected to the show. His use of humor was well placed, and when a character dies I appreciate how there was not a dramatic long pause of the character laying there, but appropriate symbolism rather than a direct approach.

I also liked the local flavor in the show, which I didn't know until afterwords that it was a local playwright now in NY rather than the director localizing it.

I think this is an excellent work that should be promoted throughout the region and If you have an opportunity to see it you will enjoy it.

Length was good, story line was good, and I see a lot of potential for this show in the academic and rep circuit.

read the review at KC Stage

No comments:

Post a Comment