Friday, August 24, 2012

Olathe Community Theatre "I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change" review by PeterL87

Wonderful Musical!
Rating: 5

I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change
Olathe Community Theatre Association

I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change is an incredibly funny, heartfelt, and beautifully performed musical. I was incredibly impressed by the stage direction by Shelly Stewart, the musical direction by Kevin Hershberger, as well as the talent of the cast itself.

I Love You, You're Perfect, Now Change is an ensemble show with a small cast of six performers. Each performer seemed to bring a different element to the table and there were many different levels of talent in this cast. Although some of their individual performances may have fallen short for me, they managed to come together as a whole and put together a beautiful piece of theatre.

I was most disappointed by the performance given by MB Hurst. I was not impressed by her vocals and her acting left much to be desired. Throughout many of her scenes I felt a bit uncomfortable for her as it didn't seem that she was confident in the work she was producing on stage. Although to me she was the weakest link in this production, she did manage to impress during the last scene of the show.

Rachel Adcock may not have been the best actor in the show, but she definitely had the best vocals. Her solo song "I Will Be Loved" was beautifully performed and had the entire crowd on her side.

Sarah Montoya may not have the best voice in the show, but she is definitely the most talented actor in the cast. She seemed to carry every scene that she is in with the poise and confidence of a seasoned actor well beyond her years. I was also, like the other reviewers, most impressed by her final monologue given. The emotion that she was able to capture was endearing and heartbreaking.

John Cleary was extremely amusing and fun to watch. The only issue I had with his performance was that I felt that I was watching the same person in every scene. Although that person was incredibly funny, I would have liked to have seen some variety in his acting.

James Levy & Kevin Rehrer didn't get much time to act in scenes, but their vocals were top-notch. I was incredibly impressed with the voice that came out of James Levy during the final song in Act I. He has a strong and beautiful voice that I wish I could have heard more. Kevin Rehrer is also very vocally talented and has, as someone else mentioned, great comedic timing.

All in all although I had some problems with individual performances, the cast as a whole was very talented and entertaining to watch. Do yourself a favor and get down to Olathe Community Theatre to check out this wonderful show before it closes!

No comments:

Post a Comment