Wednesday, December 15, 2010

KC Ballet "Nutcracker" review by behindthestove

The Nutcracker at the Music Hall by Greta Moore
Rating: 4

The Nutcracker
Kansas City Ballet

It hadn't been to see "The Nutcracker" at the Music Hall since I was a child.  This would be the last year it would be seen at this location. Next year it will be in the new Kaufman Performing Arts Center.

When the play began I realized it was mostly the same set that was used almost twenty years ago.  I was a bit surprised, but glad. At least I knew they were recycling.

Aisling Hill-Connor gave her performance as the Sugar Plum Fairy with great precision in her steps and professional constraint.  The Cavalier, Luke Luzicka, also exemplified control in his  movements and they worked together coherently throughout the play.
 
The Arabian Dance seemed a little shaky.  Logan Pachciarz, earlier performed several dramatic  spins as Herr Dosselmeyer. Now Pachciarz had several slow moving lifts to perform, while Arielle Espie had to hold the rigid position of a flowing statue.  It was a difficult dance.
The Chinese Dance is my favorite. I hum the song even when it isn't winter time.  I was disappointed when one of the female dancers fell down.  To her credit, she got up as if she were a break dancer and kept dancing with a smile. I forgave her, immediately.

The costumes in Waltz of the Flowers and the Spanish Dance made me wish I could be a ballerina so I could wear the costumes.  Students from the Kansas City Ballet School participated in the Waltz of the Flowers.  It was skillfully done by everyone.

The dancer who caught my attention the most was Yoshiya Sakurai, of the Russian Dance.  Every movement radiated his personality and enjoyment in performing. Even when Sakurai was only standing, the stage was brighter.  I wished that the Russian Dance was longer so that he could perform more leaps.  I was happy to see him again in the Finale. He is a pleasure to watch.  He reveals his thoughts in his movements. Next ballet, he needs more stage time.

Overall, the ballet was everything you expect of The Nutcracker.  The tradition was continued with precision and professionalism.

read the review at KC Stage

No comments:

Post a Comment