Tuesday, August 17, 2010

"Conversation with the Madame" by Bryan Colley

 From the July 2010 issue of KC Stage

Marisa McKay is the founder of the Burlesque Downtown Underground (BDU) and is bringing burlesque back to the Folly Theatre with the July 10 performance of Burlesque Revival at the Folly. She’s also producing BOYlesque Downtown Underground later this month at the Kansas City Fringe Festival, where a film about her group, Beyond the Pasties, will be making its debut. I asked her a few questions about BDU and their historic Folly performance.

What does the Folly think of having BDU on their stage?
The Folly Theater is just elated to have us make history at their landmark theater. The Folly prides itself on being the Kansas City theater that was part of the vaudeville and burlesque circuits. Many of their board members have seen various productions of ours and felt that BDU is a perfect fit for the Folly.

How long have you been planning on bringing burlesque to the Folly?
The idea came into my head late fall of 2009. Official planning took off when I received the “go-ahead” in December. Fund raising is the biggest step in producing a show of this caliber. Its still happening to this date. The artistic steps are the fun and easy parts of Burlesque Revival at the Folly, but due to funding such a big project, even during our first artistic meeting I was telling my girls, “I’m just not there yet.”

How did BDU get started?
Cheryl Kimmi, the director of the Kansas City Fringe Festival, had a “show” she wanted to have produced and added to the 2007 Festival. All she asked was, “Would you put on a burlesque show?” I love challenges, so I agreed. I had only seen a burlesque show in Chicago, and at that time I was leaving to go overseas, so I made a point to see some in London as well. So, the burlesque was Cheryl’s idea, all the rest of it I created.

How do you find performers?
I have beautiful, talented friends. They are all professional performers who are willing to try something “edgier” or outside of their comfort zone. I have a few who go back and forth on the idea of doing it, and when and if they’re ever ready, I’d love to have them perform.

Are you a student of the history of burlesque?
My second solo performance was a historical monologue based on Kansas City’s history with burlesque. I researched and wrote and created something that fit perfectly into our production while being educational. And yes, I did my research. I’ve learned that obviously, everything comes full circle when you’re dealing with history. There was as much censorship now as there was then. That’s the biggest lesson in full. I’ve also learned that there is really no hard definition of burlesque. People think that their definition, their way, and their reasoning is correct. But guess what? Everybody thinks that way about this performance art. I simply love it! I’m a classically trained and accredited dancer first, a learned and degreed actress second, and a studied singer and musician third. What happened with the present boom in burlesque for BDU was that all of these art forms came together with tease. With skin. Edge. Just with that added little bit of excitement and with sex appeal that appealed to everyone. You pick: modern dance concert or burlesque? Right...

BOYlesque is a departure for you. What has that experience been like so far?
BOYlesque isn’t a departure, its the next step. The next edge. Keep ‘em on their toes, ya know? And why not? Honestly, the gentlemen have been more concerned about their body image and appearance than the ladies have ever been. It’s humbling.

Is there a difference between working with dancers and with actors?
The Luscious Ladies have always been split evenly. The key is, the actors and singers of the Ladies have always been wonderful movers, so most of them come off as skilled dancers. I’ve worked with professional dancers all the way up to non-movers, and actors are great to work with. They want direction, and they know how to move their bodies. They know stage direction and they know how to feel. It’s wonderful.

Are there people out there that don’t like what you’re doing? Do you ever run into censorship issues?
BDU attracts all types of people, and that’s what we love. Again, we’re happy to be an entertaining company and that we are able to expose people to all kinds of performance art. Just as some people do not like certain vegetables, some people do not like this type of entertainment. That’s fine and completely normal. BDU has had its fair share of censorship issues and has worked with those boundaries very well. In fact, avid fans have even liked our censored shows more than our open ones. It’s all in the tease and about mystery.

How do you see the Fringe Festival helping up-and-coming artists?
The Fringe opened a door. I went through the door and started climbing the steps. Yes, if it wasn’t for the KC Fringe and Cheryl’s crazy idea, this wouldn’t be happening. And it wouldn’t still if she had not hammered the success of BDU into my head. I did not plan on continuing and creating, but clearly this city wanted more of us, so that’s what Burlesque Downtown Underground is serving up on a silver platter! The Fringe helps every artists, its just up to those artists to decide what to do with it. BDU moved independently of Fringe within three months of Fringe. We still perform through Fringe and on our own and anyone can truly accomplish that. Fringe is a “spring-board” and all artists should use it as much as to their advantage as possible!

Any amusing/embarrassing BDU moments you’d like to share?

In last year’s Fringe, Naughty Knickers - Take II, I had to bring up the house lights two different times, and threatened to stop the show if some unruly jerks didn’t shut up. They were ruining the whole experience for the audience. My solo (which centered around being a controlled, sexy lady) happened to be right after each scolding. I performed while channeling my inner anger. Then my pastie flew off. Awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment