Saturday, March 19, 2011

Barn Players "Evita" review by bradfink175

Evita is a MUST See!
Rating: 5

Evita
The Barn Players, Inc.

Let me first begin by stating that I was extremely skeptical about how this show was going to turn out as I entered the theatre. As most are probably aware, EVITA is usually done with about 70+ people in the cast as well as an incredibly 20+ piece orchestra. The budget usually needed for this show is extreme and I couldn't fathom such a small community theater actually pulling this show off. I was completely wrong.

Although these actors are performing with little budget with limited space, they make the most of it. Before I talk about the principle characters I'd first like to mention the ensemble in this cast. Most ensembles are merely faces in a crowd, carrying some sort of tune. Not the case with this cast's ensemble. The ensemble in this cast is filled with an incredible amount of talent vocally as well as dramatically. Each and every one of them held their own, created their own characters, and really became part of the story-- not just a face in the crowd. BRAVO!!

As for the principle characters, Che played by John Cleary would have to be my favorite. His performance is hands-down what makes the show what it is. He literally BECOMES Che despite having no physical similarities at all. At first I thought this would be somewhat distracting but after his first number I cast all doubts aside-- his performance was incredible.

I was also blown away by the vocal performance from Kevin Rehrer who played Migaldi. Although this is virtually a cameo role, when he takes the stage it is HIS.

Ken Schmidt did a wonderful job playing the Argentine dictator-- he demanded the audience's attention when he was on stage and to me really embodied Juan Peron.

Erin Hamer who plays Evita not only looks the part, but plays the part. When I heard The Barn was putting on this production I was skeptical about how they would find someone in the community theater circuit to carry such a role-- they found her. Erin's acting is truly what made her performance wonderful. Looking around me and seeing the tears in the eyes of the audience cemented the thought in my mind that to them, she was Eva.

The show is not without flaws however-- some of the choreography is a little shaky in spots, there are some vocal mess-ups, and there tends to be some sloppiness when it comes to costuming. The biggest problem I had were sound problems-- mics were either off or too loud; sometime screaching through the audience. Bravo to the performers however for never showing signs of this getting to them.

Phil Kinen pulled this show off and I believe impressed everyone in the audience. If you haven't yet seen this show, are skeptical about it like I was, or have never seen Evita; I urge you to see this performance! Forget your past ideas and judgements about "community theater"-- this is something different.

read the review at KC Stage

No comments:

Post a Comment