Wednesday, May 2, 2012

River City Community Players "Laramie Project" review by nightfury

Stunning Production
Rating: 4

The Laramie Project
River City Community Players

Having never seen a production of "The Laramie Project" before, I wasn't quite sure what to expect. I knew the basic premise behind the play and little else, and I was a bit nervous after seeing who the director was due to the last audience experience I had with one of her shows. I am so glad to say that this play was handled with such grace and finesse that it is taking its place as one of the most stellar productions I have ever seen at the RCCP.

Though the play overall was incredibly impressive (The simplistic but versatile set worked well and the use of video and audio was a nice touch), the reason why I only rate this production four stars was due to a few lulls in the strength of the portrayals of characters such as the reporter, Shadow, and a few other small scenes. It may just be due to the fact that many of the weaker characterizations were of characters that had a more minimal role in the story, but it was noticeable because of all of the really strong characterizations.

Overall, the RCCP's handling of this controversial but important play was magnificent and the only other complaint I have is that so many people aren't turning out to see this wonderful production. This play is more than just a play about homosexuality as so many people seem to believe... it's an indictment of bigotry and hatred. I highly recommend this play to anyone. Period.

No comments:

Post a Comment