Thursday, February 9, 2012

Unicorn "Next Fall" review by UCSD/UMKC

Next Fall
Rating: 5

Next Fall
Unicorn Theatre

I saw the matinee performance on Sunday, February 5, and I was very impressed with this production. The playwright introduces the conflict regarding religious beliefs without beating you over the head. And the play doesn't force the issue on the audience.

While the two principal actors give very natural performances, I wanted more vocal texture; things seemed to be underplayed a little too much at times for my taste. Charles Fugate and Rusty Sneary work very well together, and the remaining cast provided strong support.

I really enjoyed the use of the set. Scene changes moved along at a very nice pace, and I never felt that I was waiting in the dark for the next location to be presented. And I especially enjoyed the hospital waiting room locale, and how, with minor movements of the set pieces, different environments were evoked. I had no trouble at all following where the characters were supposed to be at any time. I highly recommend this production.

No comments:

Post a Comment